Mike McGonegal for the Michigan House

Mike McGonegal is running for the Michigan House of Representatives from the 66th District, and this is his official campaign blog. It is monitored and posted b y his Communications Director.

10/15/2006

Ward, McGonegal square off in 66th

It was nice to finally get some coverage from the A2 News weekly covering Livingston County. I purposely cut out what Mr. Ward said in the article. He can start his own blog if he wants to post it, but we have provided a link if you want to read it uncut. It’s funny that Mr. Ward’s supporters keep trying to spin our pointing out Mr. Ward’s record and conduct as personal attacks. I have repeatedly challenged them to point one out, and I am still waiting. Here are Mike’s own words to the reporter regarding the story.

“Nice article, fair and balanced.
However, regarding the "onslaught of criticism" regarding press releases, please know that I have approved every press release and if we could have found stronger words we would have used them. We stand by them.
There are things we hear, that have nothing to do with issues, from people who work with him that I would call " harsh."That is what I was probably referring to. In our interview.”


BY CASEY HANS
News Staff Reporter
As two-term incumbent Rep. Chris Ward vies for re-election for his third and final term in the Michigan House of Representatives, he is challenged by Green Oak Democrat Mike McGonegal, who touts himself as a moderate who believes in a business model for government.
Both are doing door-to-door campaigning to find out what's on the minds of voters in the 66th District, which covers all of Green Oak, Brighton, Genoa, Marion and Oceola townships and the city of Brighton in Livingston County and Milford Township in Oakland County.
McGonegal once studied to be a priest, was a parole officer in Ohio, and has worked for most of his career as a manufacturing representative. He said he would bring his varied life experience to the job.
"Dad was a diehard Democrat, union guy. I was kind of the opposite,'' he said. "I've spent 30 years doing sales, so I'm sort of conservative because of the business I've been in. My philosophy is that I don't have a philosophy. I'm about as practical as they get.''
McGonegal said he is frustrated with the direction of the country and the state and wants to be an advocate for change. As someone working in the automotive sector, he started to see the state's problems coming several years ago. "I'm an industrial sales guy and I'm watching my state and my country be deindustrialized,'' he said. "That's a pretty strong thing. In my own way, I thought I can make a contribution.''
The changing economy is his biggest issue and he said if elected he will work to bring jobs back to the state and to diversify the business base. "There's a shift. This is not an ordinary downturn,'' he said. "People are scared out of their wits. People who have jobs are worried about losing them. Those at the state level need to take some action.''
Other key issues include working with the federal government to address the spiraling cost of health care, focusing on education funding, and getting and keeping good teachers to improve the education system. He also would get businesses involved in education so that they can bring ideas forward for what's needed in the future work force. "That's going to be a magnet that's going to draw companies and businesses to Michigan,'' he said.
Ward has faced an onslaught of criticism in press releases from McGonegal, who has used phrases such as "irresponsible,'' "sneak'' and "partisan politics at its worst'' to describe the incumbent. However, in person McGonegal said none of those things about his opponent and said he sometimes has to "hold back'' those involved with his campaign from being too harsh.
McGonegal said he hopes to do well Nov. 7. "I'm too old at 57 to go on a fool's errand. I wouldn't be running if I didn't think I could win.''

2 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey Hans demonstrates that Mike has the style and flair of a JFK tempered by the warmth and communicative skills of Ronald Reagan. No wonder the 66th is a buzz with the echo of "I LIKE MIKE".

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no doubt about it ronnie would be on the side of mike and so would jfk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home